02 July, 2012

Salud! to Pomegranate


Pomegranate is the theme of this post!  Either fresh squeezed if you are brave or Pom Wonderful if you are lazy like me.  Hee hee!  We rarely drink cocktails...or anything not Red Wine for that matter.  But in the heat of the summer a Big Spicy Cabernet is the last thing on my mind.  In order to survive the summer heat I love to make Sangria.  I have adapted a recipe over many summers of practice, but I believe the initial recipe was Bobby Flay's.  

Pomegranate Sangria
Ingredients:
1 Bottle Estancia Red Meritage (or some fruity red wine, Zinfandel works pretty well too)
1 Bottle Pom Wonderful 100%  Pomegranate  Juice
1/2 cup Brandy
1/2 cup Triple Sec
1/2 cup Apple Juice or 1/4 cup Grenadine
1 Orange, sliced thin
1 Green Apple, sliced thin (optional)
1 Lemon, sliced thin

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher.  I like to "muddle" the fruit with the back of a wood spoon, just a little bit, to help release some of the juices and oils.  Refrigerate of at least 4 hours or over night before serving.  Sangria really only lasts for 48 hours before it starts to turn really bitter.  Serve over ice with 7up and Squirt. Garnish with  Pomegranate  seeds if you are feeling fancy!

With the help of my sister and a very adventurous bar tender I discovered my new favorite cocktail just this last week at The Dive Bar in Sacramento.  If you have not been you have to check this place out!  Anything that advertises Random Mermaid Shows has got to be a fun place to hang out!  


I have out grown my super fruity girly drinks stage long ago, but I am still not quite ready for a dirty martini.  But I do enjoy Gin...so when my sister ordered a Pomegranite Martini I took a sip, it was not really fruity, it was kind of zesty and tart...it was delicious!  But...I HATE VODKA!  So I asked our valiant bar tender if he could make me a Pomigranite Martini with Gin instead of Vodka.  It is not really that far feched; Martini's are traditionally made with Gin anyway, right?  It was amazing!  My sister and the bar tender both agreed that it tasted SOO much better with Gin.  A new drink was born!

Pomegranate Martini
Ingredients:
2 oz PAMA Pomegranate Liquor or 3 oz Pom Wonderful Pomegranate Juice 
2 oz Gin or Vodka
Slash of Orange Liqueur
Squeeze and a Twist of Lime

Directions:
Shake PAMA and Gin with ice and strain into a Martini Glass.  Float a splash of Orange Liqueur on top.  Add a squeeze of lime juice and garnish with a twist of lime.


Please remember to drink responsibly when consuming alcoholic beverages.  NEVER drink and drive!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow my blog with Bloglovin