18 August, 2015

Copy Cat Hostess Cream Filling...That`s the Stuff!

As you may have noticed I am a huge Pinterest addict!  And when this post for Cloud Frosting popped onto my screen combined with my growing craving for cupcakes...well it is not hard to imaging what happened next!



I baked up some cupcakes and got to work on the frosting. The recipe reminded me a lot of making Homemade Marshmallows so I prepared the recipe the same way...making it faster and easier.  I also reduced the recipe by half and good thing too because I still have tons left over!  Here is something funny: I put the extra icing in the freezer but the consistency has not changed at all.  Much easier for sneaking late night finger licks of the gooey deliciousness.


Best of all this turned out tasting exactly like Hostess Cream Filling...That`s the stuff!  Now that I have so much left over I am trying to come up with ways to use it.  I think it would be a great replacement for Marshmallow Fluff in any recipe.  I am dreaming up an idea for Smores Pie with this as the Meringue topping.

What would you make with it?

Copy Cat Hostess Cream FillingIngredients:1 1/4 Cup White Sugar
1/4 Cup Water
3 Egg Whites, Room Temperature
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1 pinch of Salt
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (clear)
Directions:
In a small pot over low heat; heat the water and sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved and the syrup begging to boil.
Fit your stand mixer with the whisk attachment and in the bowl add the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
On medium speed whisk the egg whites until the cream of tartar is incorporated and begins to froth.
Turn off the syrup and remove from heat.  Carefully add the vanilla extract to the syrup and gently stir.
Turn your stand mixer on to high and slowly begin to drizzle the hot syrup into the egg mixture.
Once all the syrup has been added continue to whisk the mixture on high for another 10 to 15 minutes.
The final product will be thick and fluffy like Chantilly Cream.  Scoop into a piping bag and try not to lick your fingers too much.

This sets up beautifully on cupcakes.  It is a little sticky to eat but never wilts.  So it stays looking just the way you piped it.  This on yellow cake would make perfect mini Twinkie Cupcakes.  It would also work great as a cake filling.  Or pipe it over a chocolate cream pie for an instant meringue.  Add big dollops over hot chocolate...and best of all FLUFFERNUTTERS!!!!






No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow my blog with Bloglovin