03 December, 2014

Secret Family Recipe...Cookies

Every family has their secret recipes.  Just recently Boris was trying to remember one of his grandmothers holiday recipes...the only person who knew the details of the recipe, his mom, now passed... A family tradition lost forever!  


My great grandma (98 years young) and my aunt
So I am on a new kick to share family secrets... recipes that is!...in order to preserve the memories of our loved ones forever.  So why not blast it on the web?  
One of, my great grandmothers is 98, (the other is 100) and although I truly believe that they both will live forever they do not have the same sentiments.  So when we packed up to move to Mexico my great grandmother told me to take my inheritance of anything I wanted from the house.  Many would have grabbed the gold rimmed China, or some antique jewelry.  Not only because space was limited, but honestly the only thing I really wanted was two recipes.  She gladly wrote them out and they tucked right into the RV.  The two recipes I requested was a cookie recipe and her recipe for Zucchini relish.  


Zucchini Relish,
 an ancient tradition for that insane surplus you get every summer in your garden
I only ever remember her making this cookie recipe once in my childhood.  They were what I would call an everything cookie and bigger than most deli counter types.  As a child I thought they were the greatest cookies I had ever seen or tasted.  I always tried to find a similar recipe and replicate this childhood memory, alas I never found a recipe remotely close.  Her classic go to holiday cookie is and will always be Persimmon Cookies... not a tantalizing treat for any child under the age of 50. Bleh!


Although I love the flavor of Persimmon, I will never really be able
to appreciate the colors, textures or flavor of persimmon cookies. Eeek!
And so this Holiday season I give to you my family`s secret recipe for Wyoming Whooper Cookies! No, I have no idea what the state has to do with the recipe for these cookies. If you have a peanut allergy or "big as your face" cookies are not your style, then you should head on over to my childhood friend Stephanie`s Blog 52 Kitchen Adventures where she just did the most incredible Cookie Round Up!  Snoop around while you are there! And you must absolutely follow, tweet, pin and share.  She has some great gift ideas, homemade snacks, delectable treats, and SO MUCH MORE.  I know you will love it...I do!!!


My Great Grandmothers Recipe for Wyoming Whoppersmakes 2 dozen 3" Cookies 
Ingredients:2/3 Cup Butter1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar3/4 Cup Sugar3 Eggs, Beaten1- 12oz bag of Chocolate Chips1 1/2 Cup Chunky Peanut Butter* (Great Grammy says to only use Jif for this recipe!)6 Cups Old Fashioned Oats2 teaspoons Baking Soda1 1/2 Cup Raisins 
Directions:Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a baking sheet.Melt Butter, then add to mixer and blend in Sugar, Eggs and Peanut Butter.  Mix until Smooth.Add oats, baking soda, raisins, and chocolate chips.  *The mix will be sticky.Drop by 1/3 cup portions onto greased baking sheet, spacing about 5 inches apart.  Use your fingers to flatten each cookie into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.Bake at 350º F for about 15 minutes, until edges of the cookies are lightly browned.Let cookies cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cookie racks.Store in an airtight container. 
*If you use another brand of Peanut Butter, you should add a couple tablespoons of water to the mixture.  I have tried this recipe with both Skippy and with Jif and I discovered that Jif gives the cookies a more peanut taste and the texture of the cookie is much better.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow my blog with Bloglovin